Tuesday, December 23, 2014

ROCK REVIEW (BOOK) - MESMERIZED by ALISSA WALSER

HI EVERYONE! I'm Genie and welcome to my latest book review. As you all have read the title, I am reviewing...

                      18005442    

           MESMERIZED by ALISSA WALSER

I have read this book a week ago and I think some of you knew that I bought it at the BIG BAD WOLF Book Fair. If you haven't, I'll link that below so you can see it. I'll give out details and links to buy this book online. This book was actually an e-book plus is was a German one. It was translated to English. I found this book while I was searching for another book. Actually, I know nothing about this book. I choose it because of the beautiful cover and I know that was a little cruel but hey, you won't stop if you say gorgeous covers at the price of 3 dollars!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

Let's start!!!

Non-spoilery review    

Guys, if you haven't read this book, I have to say just one thing... BEAUTIFUL! You really would have no idea how the story goes.
It's about a doctor named Anton Franz Mesmer who is a doctor and physicist. One day, he got a big offer. That offer happened to be fixing a blind girl's eyes. Not just any blind girl, but a famous pianist who is the daughter of the court secretary.The empress was the one who sponsored to help fix the blind girl's eyes. And then, comes with scandal and stuff like that.
If you're interested, pick it up or comment if you want to buy this book, e-book...???


   
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

SPOILERY REVIEW    

You guys, I love how the concept of the story works. All historical fiction and it was suprising enough to know that this is based on a true story set in Germany during the late 1777 to 1789. It was sad, it was happy, it was so intrigueing. Lines were so beautiful structured and atmosphere... AMAZING. Mesmer says so little things but he does things with action. And Maria, seriously, I loved her. I was hoping both of them would fall in love or something.  Let me say some good and bad points from my view of this story.

First was that, I love how the writing swiftly moved. And the progressing in moderate speed. Like Mesmer trying control her by using his Spanish cane. I could picture how scary it would be to do stuff like that. The magnets and the ability to learn people. Mesmer liked his job. He was more of keen observer and a great listener. He wants to understand the people and things around him and I admire him for that talent.

Resi as in Maria, OMG, she is like a look-innocent but no really like that kind of girl. I admit it, I really think of her as annoying and immature. Doesn't act like an adult. But it calms my heart to know that she's not like other goody-two-shoes blind girl you see in every story. I mean, you don't see every blind girl who's behaving really nice.





   
I mean, you don't see girls like that in real life (even though this girl in this pic happens to be a guy). You'd wonder if every girl is like that. NO!!! Part of the story proves reality within the dream world and that is... The world of books.

Mesmerized, the best book. I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars cause, some of the story had barriers of confusion and that made me question a lot like "what happened or why did it happened". Like the part where Mesmer went on the train to go to Paris. I was like... "why is he leaving Anna hear?" By how Mesmer described Anna's face for being sad, it just tore me down. But not to the verge of crying.

I usually ask myself what literature books are like, now I know and I'm gaining interested towards that genre.

My expectations flew like hell when I flipped every single one of those pages.

Like when Mesmer had to silence his pupil and I was like "are the going to do something" and when he explained the whole imagination stuff, some started arguing and total negativeness.But I was hoping that Mesmer would shake it off, though, historical stuff stated it to be something else.

I was hoping that the love between Mesmer and Maria would grow but... WHAT!!! You know that broken hearts are like those painful words saying "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY LIFE!!!". When Maria put it that way (when she lied), I could feel her guilt surrounding around me. Like, "Yeah, you should feel guilty". I despised how Maria's behaviour would be so, so immature. I hate that.

But, when Mesmer realized that it's OK, it's time to move on and stuff like that, I realized that Mesmer made a horrible but beautiful idea. Hey, I had to agree on that. I didn't picture Mesmer to be a heavy-bearded old bold man with a nostalgic look in his face, I was actually picturing Mesmer and as Prince Hans from Frozen.

     


Trust me, Hans isn't so much of a villain when you picture him as Mesmer. The doctor face suits him well actually. I kinda love it. Hey, don't blame me for anything and NO, I do no have a thing for villains, especially Disney ones. The image of Hans being Mesmer popped up and I was like "Oh well, what the heck"
As for Maria, I was thinking of her as Nannully from Code Geass (anime)

   

I have to be honest here, it is kinda sad to have Nunnally aka Maria the blind girl who's wearing a wig. I mean, seriously, WHY!?!?!? *in despair, don't bother*. And I didn't like the fact that I had to hate Maria because Nunnally is innocent in Code Geass!!!

But no one can change what my mind made.... SAD...

And for Anna, strangely, I don't picture her as Anna from Frozen but some typical hot head. And Kaline... Don't get me started... I seriously laughed when she was flirting with that messenger. The thing is... I thought of her as some fat, grumpy old woman. Turned out she's a... playgirl. And to me, that was funny.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------       

Cover: E-book

Pages: 272

Publication Date: November 5th 2013

Publisher: MacLehose Press

Ratings: 2.73 out of 5 syars  

Here are the links to buy this book online.

Amazon:
(No links, sorry)

Book Depository:
(No links, sorry)

My Goodreads review link:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1130689379?book_show_action=false

  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

OK guys, hope you enjoy this review and thank you for reading it. I will be back with, of course, another review and this time it'll be about DIVERGENT. I don't own it, I just borrowed it because I wanted to read it so badly before I watch the movie and I really wanna watch it... SO BADLY!!! Since, I'm currently reading it. You'll be reading my next review soon.       BYE-BYE!!! :)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment